Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What Worked Well Wednesday: Writing


I'm linking up with Kinder Tribe for What Worked Well Wednesday!  I'm excited to share how I structured writing during summer school these past four weeks.

My students are rising first graders who struggled with literacy during kindergarten.  I had originally intended to do a typical writing workshop, but realized after working with them for a few days that they needed shorter term projects where they could quickly and easily find success.

Since we were studying ocean animals, we used a lot of graphic organizers to show what we had learned.  After we studied an animal, the kids and I brainstormed ways to complete the organizer.  Then, they completed their own and used their graphic organizer to write sentences.  You can grab these for free in my TpT store!



The other really fun thing we did was write using prompts from my new Kinder Doodles pack!  These give a simple prompt and a picture to complete.  



My rising firsties LOVED these! I had a student who at the beginning of summer school was a super reluctant writer, and the other day he asked me if he could do some extra Kinder Doodles.  I'm amazed to see how engaged they are with these!

Here are some examples of their work.




I've found that giving them that little bit of the picture (like the wheels in the picture above) help them with scale, making it easier for them to add detail and take up the whole page with their picture.  So, I think these will be really great to try with my new kindergartners.  I love easy differentiation, so I included 3 types of writing paper for each prompt.



That is what worked well for me the past few weeks!  Can't wait to read your posts, too.  Head over to the Kinder Tribe blog to link up!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you differentiated the writing sheets for your kiddos. Head on over to my blog- I have an ocean unit with lots of hands on activities that would go great with your science unit! It makes a beautiful bulletin board and the kids really learn a lot! I would be happy to share it with you!

    KinderIrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so awesome! I love Can. Have, Are charts. There are so many awesome things you can do with them! :)

    Carlee Van Ness
    The Kindergarten Press

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...