Sunday, December 15, 2013

Holidays!

Wow, December has been a whirlwind.  3 weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas is just not enough.  Here is a little of what we've up to, learning about 6 different holidays from different cultures around the world.

We started with Hanukkah.  we made these popsicle stick star ornaments, and read lots of Hanukkah books, including our emergent reader


http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Hanukkah-Differentiated-Emergent-Reader-with-Focus-Sight-Words-on-we-have-429200
Then we moved on to Kwanzaa.  Kwanzaa and Hanukkah are always good to compare, I think, because the kids confuse the kinara and menorah.  We made flags for Kwanzaa...super simple and the kids love them!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Kwanzaa-Differentiated-Emergent-Reader-with-Focus-Words-Look-At-The-429563
This past week, we learned about Diwali (a Hindu holiday) and Eid (a Muslim holiday).  These aren't necessarily celebrated in December, but they are important holidays, so I felt this was the right time to include them.  Also, I have a Muslim student in my class this year, so this was his chance to share about his family traditions.

Diwali is the festival of lights, so we made lanterns.  (easy-peasy directions)

We also did some gingerbread activities last week, including these gingerbread glyphs!   The kids loved making these.  Here's the guide I made:
Bow: In hair-girl, bow-tie- boy
Eyes: have pets - blue, no pets - green
Buttons: brothers - green, sisters - yellow, neither orange, mixed - both
Mittens: orange - likes ice cream, blue - likes cake
Shoes: red - likes apples, green - likes bananas
They are hanging from our ceiling and the kids love to look at each one and figure out who they belong to.
This week, we will learn about Christmas and Las Posadas.  So, I guess now I'm all caught up!  Before I go, I have to brag on one of my old students.  I taught her for K and 1, and now she's in third grade.   This weekend, she completed her first season of Girls on the Run with a 5k.  (It was reindeer-themed; that's why we have red noses and Christmas tutus.) I am so proud of her!
I hope you all have a great week...Winter Break is almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...