Saturday, September 14, 2013

Five for Friday - Week 3 (With a Little Freebie)

Here's my weekly Five for Friday link-up with Doodle Bugs!  We've had a great third week of school!  (TBA visitors, my freebie is under number one.)

1.  This week our focus letters were M and T.  (We do lots of activities with the whole alphabet, but focus in on 2-3 letters each week.)  For letter M, we read some of my favorite mouse books!


And then we made these Shape Mice, which also integrated our math objectives...

I let the kids choose each shape they used, so some turned out more "mouse-like" than others, but they are all super cute.   A little freebie: If you want the recording sheet I used, just click here.

2. Another fun way to practice M and T was our Spin and Graph game.  The kids loved seeing if M or T would win, all while working on handwriting and beginning sounds!
3. We've been working on Habit 1: Be Proactive this week.  Our guidance counselor taught a great lesson, using a stoplight to help students remember to stop, think, and then go.  The kids loved it!  It's hard to see in the picture, but the kids labeled the circles "Stop," "Think," and "Go."
Another part of being proactive is being aware of your feelings, so you can express them in appropriate ways. We've been reading books by one of my favorites - Todd Parr.  We read The Feelings Book and The I'm Not Scared Book.
Then we made our own little thumbprint feelings books.
 Simple, but the kids liked it and it helped me see who had a good understanding of feeling words.

4. We did another thumbprint activity, because we had to decorate our letter O's for the alphabet exchange.  We put 8 legs on each thumbprint to make an octopus.  (This was a great informal assessment to see who had one-to-one correspondence.)  My goal this weekend is to get the envelopes ready to send.  My kids and I are eagerly awaiting the arrival of our letters in the mail!

5. We ended our week with some fun If You Give a Moose a Muffin activities.  We did a taste test with mini-muffins and made this graph.  (I made it sideways because I realized we'd only done vertical graphs so far, and they need to experience both types.)
As you can see, Banana Nut was not very popular, haha!  After graphing, we made a class book with our own versions of "If you give a moose a...."  I loved seeing their creative ideas!
If you give a moose a cake, he'll want icing.
If you give a moose a hot dog, he'll want chili.
If you give a moose a ball, he'll want a pair of shoes and leg warmers. (Love this one!)

If you give a moose a shoe, he'll want laces.
 Thanks for reading!!  How was your week?  Link up with Doodle Bugs to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...