Saturday, September 7, 2013

Five for Friday: Week 2

Happy Saturday!  I am linking up to share 5 random things from my second week of school.  I am still loving my class!!  They are such good listeners and can actually follow my directions without six thousand reminders.  We're getting so much great work done!

1. We worked on names a lot this week.  I gave the kids each a baggie with the letters of their name mixed up inside.   They had to put it in order, and count to see how many letters they had.  (This was a follow-up to reading Chrysanthemum.)   After they figured out how many letters they had, we made this class graph:
This gave us a great opportunity to talk about most, least, and equal.  

2. We started to talk about feelings, so we read another one of my favorite Kevin Henkes' books - Wemberly Worried. After reading, we did a shared writing about Wemberly's worries and our worries:
One student said she worried about getting sucked into the vacuum cleaner, haha!  Then, we did an individual Wemberly craft and writing.  This super cute idea is from Mrs. T.  We painted and wrote first.  Then, added the Wemberly face the next day.

 3. We also made our first class book, focusing again on our names.  Each student colored in a big block letter and then I took their picture with it.  Each picture made a page in our ABC book, with a sentence like "B is for Beckam."
I put the colored version of our book in our classroom library, but I also made several black and white copies that the kids can read at their tables.  It is always such a popular book.  They love that they can read it independently.  

4.  Our school is doing a new thing this year to encourage kids to think about college.  Each classroom has a college and we have a schoolwide theme around all the college sports.  It's really fun.  Our class is the Georgia Bulldogs, so I made these inserts for our take home folders.  Our folders are red with plastic inserts in the front, so they perfectly match UGA's red and black.
My sister, who lives in Georgia, sent us this little mascot.  He sings "We Will Rock You" and dances.  He's an incentive for the whole class.  If they all work together and line up or come to the carpet quietly, we will watch him sing/dance.  They LOVE it!

 5. We started to talk about the 7 habits this week.  We are focusing on "Be Proactive" (Habit 1).  To start, we read Proactive Pete, and talked about all the proactive things he did.  The kids also made take home versions of the book to share with their parents.  I have a few boys who are obsessed with superheroes, so they are loving this theme.  I'm thinking about making some sort of cape or something to recognize students who are exemplifying each habit.  I'll let you know what I come up with!  (Update 8/22/15: Franklin Covey has asked that all 7 Habits products be removed from TpT, so this product is no longer available.  So sorry!)


That was a pretty long five.  If you stuck with me, thank you!  Now go over to Doodle Bugs and link up your five!

3 comments:

  1. We graphed our names this week too! So glad you're having a great year so far!

    Jill
    ABCs and Polkadots

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your post on Five for Friday. Following! I also pinned the cute Wimberly pictures. Smiles, Jayne
    Smart Kids
    ABCs of Reading

    PS...I grew up in NC: Shelby, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte. Went to Appalachian. Live in GA now. MISS NC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I'm in the triangle area...I love it! Going to visit/follow your blog now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...