Friday, August 9, 2013

Five for Friday


It's been so long since I've linked up with Five for Friday.  But I have plenty of random pictures and thoughts to share tonight!
 1. My apartment is currently consumed with stuff for my classroom.  I ordered a bunch of Really Good Stuff this year, and I am so excited.  I love the colors.  (This is just some of it...I already took a bunch to school.)  I have to brag on Really Good Stuff, too.  I ordered 3 boxes worth of stuff in mid-July and received two boxes within a week.  I kept waiting on the other box, and finally got online to check into it.  I'm not sure what happened but it tracked the other box to a post office somewhere in my town.  Which is really weird, because the other stuff was delivered by UPS.  So then I gave it a few more days, because if it was in town it had to show up soon.  On Monday, I finally gave up and emailed customer service.  I had a response within ten minutes and they priority shipped another box of the items I was missing.  I was so impressed...I already liked Really Good Stuff, but now I really love them!  Still have no idea what happened to the other box though!

2. Another purchase from Really Good Stuff - book bags.  In the past, I've used boxes for kids to store their Read to Self books, but they take up so much room and couldn't be stored at their tables.  These seem like they'll be durable and easier to keep in a basket on the tables or in their chair pockets, so they'll have access to their books all the time.  Harper likes them!

 3. I've been doing some more painting.  The chairs on the left used to be white and have been in my homeliving center forever.  Like since before I started teaching.  When I went in my room this summer, I noticed they really needed a fresh coat of paint, and I decided to try something new.  I love the green.  (It looks darker in person and less like the color of a highlighter.)

And I painted two wooden crates.  I had originally planned to add a fabric-covered cushion to the top, for a cozy reading/storage area.  But...literally the day I was going to add the cushions I got an email from our principal.  Apparently our new fire marshal has outlawed all pillows and fabric products of any kind.  I swear we have the strictest fire marshals.  We can't even put paper on our doors.  So anyways, I'm still going to put the crates in my reading center, along with my rocking chair.  They just won't be so cozy.  (Maybe I can sneak on some cushions once the fire marshal finishes his inspection.)

4. No picture for this, just a question.  We just got our schedule and kindergarten lunch is way earlier than what I'm used to (11:10).  We're supposed to do math in the morning and literacy in the afternoon.  I've never structured my day this way, and I'm a little concerned about the adjustment.  My kids love literacy centers, so I think having those in the afternoon will be okay.  I just don't know about writing.  Do any of you do literacy - reading, writing, or both - in the afternoon?  I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5. My sweet bloggy friend Sara from Polka Dot Kinders is celebrating 400 followers.  She has a great giveaway going on and a BOGO sale.  Go check it out!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. We have recess/lunch from 10:45 to 11:30. I have done literacy in the morning and the rest in the afternoon and vice versa. It just depends on the group of kiddos on how well it goes. Try a few different ways and see what works with your group! :)

    Erin
    It's "OWL" Good in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin. I guess I'll have to wait and see what this group is like!

      Delete
  2. Love those chairs! I get the Really Good Stuff catalog at homoe and my husband HIDES it from me. Ha!!

    Corrina
    From Mrs. Allen's Teaching Files

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah it can be a dangerous catalog to have around, ha!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...