Saturday, August 31, 2013

Five for Friday: First Week of School


Phew, I made it through the first week of school!  I am super excited.  I have the sweetest class this year...12 girls, 7 boys, all super sweet.  I don't think I've ever had a group that seemed so ready for kindergarten.  Another teacher came in on Wednesday (our first day all together) and said my class looked they'd been there for a few months already.

I still lost my voice this week...I always do.  I still had to teach them how to walk in line, and get lunch, and all those other things.  But it's amazing that they listen so well!  And...for the first time ever, I had no criers!  On the first day of school, I was so sure some of the moms and kids would cry.  But no one did.  A few moms ran out of the room and I'm sure boo-hooed in their cars, but they held it together for their kids.  It was amazing. 

So without further adieu, here's my Five for Friday! (Or Saturday.  You people who actually post on Friday are such over-achievers! :)  I could barely keep my eyes open by the time I got home yesterday!)

1. I used my new chalkboard for first day pictures.   I love how they turned out.  After reading about Teeny's debacle, I made sure to find a nice clear wall space for picture-taking.

2. On the first day, we read The Kissing Hand (of course) and made these sweet handprints for parents.  One of my team members gave me the poem, so I'm not sure of the source.  Sorry!

3. We also did a shared writing about how we were feeling.

 4. And then they did a response page on their own.  (I let them copy the words from the shared writing if they wanted...I was actually pretty excited if they had it together enough to find their name on the chart and copy the word.  For others, I had to help them write the word in.)



5. I don't have any pictures of this, but we've also done a lot of Pete the Cat activities.  We went on a Pete the Cat hunt the first day of school.  The kids loved it!  They really wanted to keep searching when they came back Wednesday, but they've settled for reading his books and listening to his songs.  I love playing this video and listening to my class sing along and say "Goodness, no!"  It is so precious!
I hope you all had a great week, too!  I'll be posting soon about teaching the first habit - Be Proactive, and working on names!

3 comments:

  1. What a sweet little gift for the parents! I love that idea! I love Pete the Cat too!!

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always lose my voice during my first week of school too. :) And I giggled when you referenced Teeny's first day photo....that was too funny! Love your shared writing! I may just have to add that to my first day plans!! Glad that you have a great group this year!!

    Jill
    ABCs and Polkadots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first days look just like mine! We LOVE Pete the Cat and the Kissing Hand! :) I can't tell you how many times I say, "GOODNESS, NO!" ;) Congrats on no criers! I know that is a great feeling!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...