1. Link back to the blog that nominated me.
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
3. Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator.
4. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
5. Create 11 questions for your nominees.
6. Contact your nominees by commenting on their blog or sending them an email to communicate the nomination.
The first person to nominate me was the awesome 24/7 Teacher. Here are her questions for me:
- If you could be any animal what would you be and why? I guess a dog, because I love my dog and they seem like they are always happy. Or maybe a dolphin, because I love to swim.
- Have you read anything lately? If so, what? Tell a little bit about it. I read The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan. She is one of my favorite authors! My favorite book by her is Commencement.
- If you weren't a teacher what would you be? A social worker. One of the main reasons I got into teaching was to help children who needed support outside of their family. As a social worker, I could help them from a different angle (though I think that job would be even more heart-breaking than teaching can be.)
- What is your favorite T.V. Show? Currently on the air... Grey's Anatomy, but of all time... Friends.
- What hobby do you have? I like to knit, jog, and write.
- What is your favorite store at the mall? My favorite store is Target, but since that is not at the mall, Gap.
- What would be the perfect hours for a school day and why? My school day starts at 7:30 and I actually don't mind it, because then we end at 2:30. In my ideal world, I'd push it back a little, maybe 8:00, but wouldn't want it to be too late because then I feel like I'd stay at school all evening!
- If you could go anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I want to go so many places, but I'd love to go to Italy. I've seen so many beautiful pictures of it.
- If you could win any prize what would it be? (Grammy, Oscar, Emmy, Pulitzer, Olympic, Nobel Peace Prize or any other) The Pulitzer...I love to write!
- What is your favorite subject to teach? Why? This changes a lot for me, depending on my students and what we're learning about, but in general, math is my favorite. I really enjoy seeing how kids explain their thinking and how their number sense develops.
- What is your dream vacation? I would love to take a trip around the world...like take a year, and go everywhere.
- How many years and what grade level have you taught? Which one did you like best? I've taught 4 years...3 in kindergarten, 1 in first. I like kindergarten more, but I loved my year in first because I looped with a super sweet group of kids.
- What is the best think you have learned from the blogging world? How to make really cute anchor charts! And lots of technology tips.
- Why did you start blogging? I was reading so many amazing teacher blogs, and I wanted to get connected to people...I find it to be such a positive, encouraging community.
- What is your favorite unit to teach? I love teaching about community and community helpers. Also love all the holiday units!
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I want to go so many places, but I'd love to go to Italy. I've seen so many beautiful pictures of it.
- Are you a mountains or ocean vacation type? Definitely ocean.
- Do you like to order dessert or an appetizer? Dessert.
- Would you rather dress up or dress down? Depends on where I'm going! I typically dress pretty casual, but I love a good reason to dress up!
- What is your favorite theme day at school? Pajama Day.
- What is the hardest part about blogging for you? Keeping myself from feeling overwhelmed or comparing myself to other bloggers.
- After a long, stressful, crazy day at work, what do you do? Take a long, hot bath.
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Ben and Jerry's S'mores Flavor.
- What is your favorite type of music to listen to? Country!
- What is your favorite subject to teach? This changes a lot for me, depending on my students and what we're learning about, but in general, math is my favorite. I really enjoy seeing how kids explain their thinking and how their number sense develops.
- Where did you go to college? UNC Chapel Hill
- Do you prefer sweet or salty? Both!
- Name 5 things that are currently in your purse. iPhone, wallet, knitting needles, a purple pen, and chapstick
- Where is your favorite vacation destination? Hilton Head, SC
- How long have you been teaching? 4 years
- What is your favorite children's book? This is a hard one! I love The Pout Pout Fish and The Dot.
- Do you prefer the mountains or the beach? Beach.
- Name one special thing about the town you live in. I live in Durham, NC, where the movie Bull Durham was set (about our minor league baseball team).
- I've lived in 5 states (Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and North Carolina), and no, my family's not in the military.
- I love Carolina Basketball, and anything Carolina blue. Go Tar Heels!
- I have a dog named Harper Grace.
- I was valedictorian of my high school class.
- I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 8 years old.
- I love going to concerts, especially for country music. I'm seeing Luke Bryan this Friday!
- I spent a summer in London in college, and I wish I could have spent a lot more time there. It was an amazing city!
- I love to read and I hate to get rid of my books. I have four overflowing bookcases in my apartment.
- I'm the middle of three girls. Growing up I always identified with Stephanie from Full House, ha!
- I got baptized one month ago!
- I have the best niece and nephew, who currently can't pronounce my name. They call me "Dan-la".
- Emily from The Absolutely True Blog of an Almost Teacher
- Erin from It's "OWL" Good in Kindergarten
- Bec from Books, Bugs and Boxes
- Carolyn from Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together
- The girls from Curious Firsties
1. What is your favorite thing about blogging?
2. If you could meet one famous person, living or dead, who would it be?
3. What is the best concert you've ever been to?
4. What grades have you taught? What is your favorite grade to teach?
5. What is the best holiday or celebration to have at school?
6. What is your favorite book for adults?
7. What is your favorite children's book?
8. If you were not a teacher, what would you do?
9. What is your least favorite part of teaching?
10. What is the best teaching advice you've ever gotten?
11. Who was your favorite teacher and why?
Thank you again to all my nominators! It was so fun to answer all the questions :)