Sunday, July 7, 2013

Just a Few Random Things...Homework and Habits


Today I'm linking up with a couple great bloggers!  First, The Applicious Teacher for her weekly share.  The topic this week is homework.  I don't know about you guys, but homework drives me crazy.  I've tried doing it lots of different ways, but no matter what, I find kindergarten students need family support to complete homework.  Unfortunately, not all of my students have that support, so I've never prioritized homework.  I send it home for the kids who want to complete it, but I don't let it take up a lot of my time.  (Plus...I don't think homework should take up much of their time either.  They are five and they need plenty of time to play!)

I do prioritize our bags of books, which I send home each week with 5 new books.  Kids are rewarded if they bring their books back on time and my assistant or I try to check in with them and listen to them read a book or two.  For the rest of homework, I've found a monthly calendar works best for me.

At the beginning of the month, I look at our monthly goals and write simple activities that can be completed at home.  Here's an example.
Parents initial the completed boxes, and kids return it at the end of the month for a treat (special pencil or eraser, dojo points, etc.)  I like it because it helps parents see what we're learning and it also incorporates choice.  How do you do homework?  Link up with Leigh to tell us!

And now, I'm linking up with Amy to share a few new products!

I am super excited because I finished my 7 Habits Superhero books!  The last two books are Sarah and Theo Seek First to Understand (Habit 5) and Superheroes Synergize (Habit 6).  Like my other habits books, these are simple stories to teach the habits - perfect for primary students!  I have included large versions, great for the classroom library, and smaller versions (in color or black and white) to send home.  I hope you like them!  (Update 8/22/15: Franklin Covey has asked that all 7 Habits products be removed from TpT, so this product is no longer available.  So sorry!)

        

And now that I've finished all 7 stories, I am offering them in a bundle for a reduced price.  By purchasing the bundle you will get one and a half stories free!  So if you haven't bought them yet, this is perfect for you!  (Update 8/22/15: Franklin Covey has asked that all 7 Habits products be removed from TpT, so this product is no longer available.  So sorry!)
If you have already bought the first five stories, thank you!  I so appreciate your support.  Proactive Pete is my number one selling product!  I don't want you to miss out on the bargain, so if you've bought all five of the previous books, send me an email or leave a comment with your TpT username, and I will email you the last two books for free.

I really hope you all like them!  I am so excited to have a full set of superhero books to teach the 7 habits to my kids this fall.

Thanks for sticking with me through my rambling.  Do you have anything "sweet" to share?  Link up with Amy !

6 comments:

  1. I don't know a lot about the 7 Habits but I keep reading about it here and there and can tell that it's good stuff! Your books are darling!!!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nominated you for the Leibster Award! You deserve it!!!

    24/7 Teacher: Amy Harrod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle! I just found you from Amy's 24/7 Teacher blog. LOVE your blog and that homework calendar! That is a fabulous idea- and it is done for the month. What a great idea! I'd love you to stop over to my blog if you get a chance!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle, I just found your blog and it is adorable! I am also a NC blogger in the Raleigh area! :) I see that you use Jen Jones' fonts; she works at my school! haha :) I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! :) Come check out my blog to find out the details!

    Katelin
    Katelin's Kreative Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Danielle, I love checking out your cute blog! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog for more info!! :)

    Jill
    ABCs and Polkadots

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I was wondering if you were able to put up those superhero 7 habits books ont he leader in me website?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...