Thursday, May 30, 2013

Six Days

We have almost made it to the end of the year.  I was inspired by all the fun end-of-the-year countdowns I've seen, so we are doing a 10 day countdown to summer.  We are four days in and here's what we've done so far!

Day 1: Parent Appreciation Breakfast - Muffins for Moms/Donuts for Dads
Since I have many single parent households, I decided to do a joint parent celebration instead of Mother's Day and Father's Day so no kids would feel left out.  We used Lindsay's interview questions from her Mother's Day craftivity and the kids wrote letters to both of their parents and painted pictures for them.  It all turned out super cute, but of course I did not take any pictures!  But, one of the moms did take this picture of me and a student at breakfast.

Day 2: Game Day
The kids could bring a board or card game from home.  All afternoon, we rotated around to play different games.  We did have a bit of a debate over whether Beyblades qualified as a game or not.  I told the student as long as his mom considered it a game, I would, too.  It was a very popular choice that afternoon, though I have to say I don't really see the appeal.  My personal favorite was Uno.

Day 3: Pajamas and Movie Day
We watched Finding Nemo and ate popcorn.  I loved this day because it was so calm and relaxing in the room - total opposite of every other day I have planned :)  And don't they look cute laying on the carpet all together?

Which brings us to today, Art Day!  We had four art stations: making foam doorknob hangers, working with modeling clay, beading necklaces or bracelets, and sponge-painting t-shirts.  Everything went pretty well, except the beading took longer than all the other stations, so the kids there were never done when it was time to switch.  We had to go back to those later in the day.  Also...the modeling clay didn't have any directions, but I'm assuming it just has to dry out?  I'm hoping maybe the weekend will be enough time.
In honor of Art Day, we read Purple, Green and Yellow by Robert Munsch.  I had never read this before but we loved it! 
Tomorrow we're wearing our t-shirts for our last field trip of the year! 
And in case you're wondering...the rest of our countdown includes:
  • Children's Museum Field Trip
  • Field Day
  • Ice Cream Sundae Party
  • Pizza Picnic
  • Graduation
  • Last (Half) Day of School
I hope all of you are enjoying your last few days with your classes!  And for those of you already on summer vacation...have a margarita for me and enjoy your pool time.  I'll be joining you soon!

2 comments:

  1. We are down to 6, too! I wish I had jumped on the countdown bandwagon. Oh well, next year...
    I bet your class is having a great time with it!

    ~Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had done a countdown too. Your ideas look so fun! Maybe next year! Tomorrow is our last day!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...