Saturday, April 13, 2013

Five for Saturday

fiveforfriday
Ok, I've recovered from my spring-break-withdrawal and I'm ready to link up with Kacey for Five for Friday.  Here's some of the random stuff we've been up to.

 1. I added a fingerprinting kit to my writing center and the kids are loving it.  I have a little book that gives them ideas for different things to make with their fingerprints and they are going to town.  On the back, they have to write a story about their picture.

 2. In math, we've been using Krissy's Race to 100 book, and they are so motivated to write.  Handwriting is not my strong suit, because I don't make it a priority, but this is such an easy way to fit in number writing every day without taking up a bunch of time.  And my students are obsessed and so motivated.  It is the quietest 2 minutes in my class every day.

3. In reading, I am really trying to get my students to use a variety of strategies to figure out words.  You know those kids who only want to use picture clues or only want to say each letter sound?  I have a lot of them this year!  We've talked about how our reading strategies are our superpowers, so this week we discussed how superheroes don't use just one superpower.  They use whatever they need to accomplish their goal.  (My kids contributed a lot here about specific superheroes and the villains they fought off and how they did it.)  So we pulled out one of our class superheroes, Proactive Pete, and made this anchor chart.  We know that proactive people stop and think, instead of immediately reacting.  So we applied that to reading, too.  Proactive readers stop, think of a good strategy and then solve the word.  We practiced using lots of strategies to solve words and using new strategies when the 1st or 2nd one didn't work. 

 4. We're really hitting subtraction hard in math, so I've tried to find some concrete and fun ways for my kids to see subtraction.  My mom got me these super cute fishing poles and I used them to make a subtraction game.  We put all 8 fish in the tub and they have ten seconds to fish them out.  At the end they make a subtraction equation on this <freebie> recording sheet.  (The graphics on the recording sheet are from My Cute Graphics and Krista Wallden.)

5. Today my school's Girls on the Run team ran in their 5K.  I got to be a running buddy for one of the girls and it was so much fun.  She kept pumping her fist in the air and saying "This is the best day ever."  And when people on the sidelines would cheer, she'd say "Wow...I have so many fans!"   It was so great to see how excited all the girls (from about 30 different schools) were to run in a race for the first time.

Well, that's my five.  Don't forget, you have a few more hours to enter my giveaway.  Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. Fingerprint art is the best! I like Proactive Pete and may need to give him a try... I see that link to TpT. Thanks!

    Christy
    Crayons and Whimsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the kiddos love the fingerprint art and it motivates them to write a great story!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Proactive Pete!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...