Monday, February 11, 2013

The 101st Day of School

Today, we had a little catching up to do after our very busy 100th day!  I had one more activity I really wanted to do for 100.  This was another "pinspired" idea (source). Students each got a die cut 100 and had to think creatively to make it into something new.  We brainstormed together and came up with three examples...glasses, a lollipop, and the wheels of a car.  Most of the class chose one of these ideas to create their picture, but I was super excited when anyone diverged from the path and did something really unique!







On a different note, we've been talking about the second habit of happy kids: Begin with the End in Mind.  The kid friendly term that goes with this habit is "Have a Plan."  We read Burro's Tortillas by Terri Fields (a twist on the Little Red Hen) and discussed how the burro had the end in mind.
 

We also made an anchor chart as we brainstormed ways to make a plan.
 
We spent some time at the end of last week discussing our long-term goals, like what we want to do when we grow up.  I found out that most of my kids wanted to be a teacher, a police officer, a firefighter, or a mom.  I felt like they needed some more ideas (not that those careers aren't wonderful, but they seemed uninformed of all the other options), so I checked out every career book our library had to offer!
I included some teacher and police books, but hoped they could get some new ideas, too.  Tomorrow, we're writing about our career goals, so we'll see!

And here's a little question for any Big Bang Theory fans out there.  Did you know "Soft Kitty" is a real poem?  I found it in a Words Their Way book today and was shocked.  I thought it was just some crazy song made up for Sheldon!

1 comment:

  1. That cracks me up! I had no idea it was a real poem. I love that show :)
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...