Friday, February 8, 2013

100th Day

We celebrated our 100th day of school today and it went so well.  Sometimes I feel like these fun days end up being so crazy and I seem like the grouchiest teacher all day.  But today, things went really well!  Get ready for a long post of our 100th day activities!

We started the day by making necklaces with 100 beads.  I found a great deal (5 dollars for 3200 beads) on mini pony beads from WalMart and they worked great!
Kids Craft Small Plastic Pony Beads, Multi-Color 
They organized their beads into groups of ten on these mats and then strung them onto their necklaces.
 This was easy to differentiate.  I have one student who can't count to ten yet, so I had him make groups of five.  When he filled his paper, I saved the beads in a cup and had him do groups of five again.  Then I gave him all the beads back to string on his necklace.

As the kids worked, I also painted "100" on their faces.  I love kindergartners.  They're so impressed by my limited face-painting skill:

 While the kids went to specials, I set up a trail mix buffet with marshmallows, raisins, butterscotch chips, peanuts, M&M's, craisins, pretzels, and 3 kinds of cereal.  The kids counted out ten of each treat.  Yum!

 
Then, we did our 100th day stations.  Two wonderful moms came in to help with the different activities.  The kids dug for 100 pennies in rice:
Made crowns with 100 stickers (divide a sentence strip into ten boxes - 10 stickers in each)...if nothing else, they better remember that 100 is 10 sets of 10!
Built buildings with 100 blocks:
And {my favorite} wrote and made art for what they'll be like at 100 years old.
When I am 100, I will be grandma.  And I'll be using a walking stick.  I will have a grandchild and glasses.
I am going to get a house all by myself.  (I asked him if he wanted to get married and have kids.  He laughed :)
(You really have to imagine this one read in my student's old lady voice: "I will have a wheelchair when I am old.  Bye bye.  I need (cough) I will (cough) just write on a (cough) paper."  She added..."Because you know the old lady coughs too much to talk."  Too sweet.)

After recess and lunch, the kids searched for 100 Hershey's kisses around the classroom.  I had written a number on the bottom of each kiss and we matched them up on a 100's chart.  This was the first time I tried this and it went really well.  The only thing I'd do differently is use a bigger chart to organize the candy.  After we counted and confirmed we had 100, we figured out how to share them equally among the students.  

At the end of the day, we squeezed in a few minutes to do our 100th day glasses.  (I got these from a blog last year and don't remember whose it was.  If it was you, please let me know so I can give you credit!)
There was one last writing/art activity we didn't get to.  We'll do it Monday and I'll let you know how it goes!  

I'm linking up with Teaching Maddenness and Learning with Mrs. Leeby today.  Join in - post on Friday Flashback about your week and 100th Day Fun Linky with all your 100th day activities!


Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I am a student teacher and am constantly searching for new learning opportunities for me before I begin teaching in the spring. Your blog is fantastic. It is important to me to incorporate music, art and technology into my teaching and I cannot wait to follow your blog in order to get ideas on how to do this! I just recently started my own blog at www.elementarynerd.com and I would love your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous of all your great pictures! I love the pennies in rice idea...I have never seen that one before. I'm adding it to my list for next year!! :)

    Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This post rocks and I got some GREAT ideas! Thanks for linking up!

    IreneLearning With Mrs. Leeby

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...