Sunday, December 30, 2012

January Plans

Have you been thinking about your plans for the coming month?  I have!  And I can't believe I go back to school on Wednesday...so soon!  I am excited about some of our upcoming units though.  This week, we're going to talk about the new year and our goals as individuals and as a class.  We're going to use this emergent reader:

Like my holiday emergent readers, this book has the same content with three different word work options - circling/highlighting focus letters or words, writing in the missing word "for", and sounding out and writing the vocabulary word on each page.  It really helps me during word study to have the same book to anchor my class with different challenges for my unique students' needs.

I also added in 2 writing extensions to this book.  There's a page where students write their favorite part of 2012 and another page where they write their goal for 2013.  I think the kids will be excited to add their own pages to the book.  Click on either of the pictures above to check out the book.

During January, we'll also be talking all about winter.  We'll be reading my *favorite* winter book, Sneezy the Snowman, by Maureen Wright.
 
I love this book.  It's a great one to retell with props.  Get a scarf, hat, coat, and you're good to go.  The repetitive text is great for helping the kids follow along and participate in the readings.  

We'll be using these emergent readers to go along with this text.
Here's some samples from In Winter that show how it's differentiated.  (The Snowman has similar differentiation.)



















I'm still working on some of the other activities we'll do with Sneezy, but I know we will write some problem solving pieces related to the book.  And we'll do a How To writing/snowman craftivity.  Click <here> for the free how-to writing template we'll use.

We're also going to use Heather's awesome snowmen to learn and sort blends.  And I'm hoping we'll get some real snow, so the kids can actually experience the winter weather! So far, we've just had flurries one day.

Do you have any fun winter plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...