Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Can't Be Very Far Away

You know that old Amy Grant song?  That's what keeps going through my head as we move through this last week of school before break!  Our classroom is a combination of Christmas cheer and chaos.  We've been busy working on Christmas presents and activities.  And we're counting down to Santa's visit Thursday and Friday's Polar Express Pajama Party.

Today, we worked on these Christmas trees in math (ordering from shortest to longest).  I found a TON of sequins and buttons, so I let the kids use those as ornaments.
 They were obsessed with the sequins.  I need to find some creative ways to use them to engage them in other activities.

We also made our Christmas book to review the word "like."
 My favorite thing we've done this week are these ornaments:
Cinnamon applesauce ornaments!  I'm sure many of you have made these before, but this was the first time I tried them and I'm so glad I did.  To make them, I used equal parts cinnamon and applesauce and cooked them at 200 degrees for 2 hours (flipping every thirty min.)  I followed <this recipe> but had to add some extra cinnamon.

We used some different strategies for decorating.  Some ornaments were decorated with glitter pens:
For others, we used a paintbrush to spread glue all over and then sprinkled glitter on top.

Added bonus?  My apartment and classroom both smell super good and cinnamon-y! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...