Friday, November 23, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  We had a very busy Tuesday at school before our break, so I definitely feel like I earned my time off. :)  Our kindergarten classes did a Thanksgiving program and soup/grilled cheese lunch for our families.  It was so much fun and the parents really enjoyed it.  But first, of course, we had to decorate and turk-ify our classroom.  Here are some of the activities we did...

We made tie-dyed turkeys for our windows.  I saw a few different ideas for how to do these on pinterest.  We just colored the coffee filters with markers and then the kids "painted" the coffee filter  with water.  You could also use spray bottles of water, or vinegar.  I've done it before with vinegar and water so students can compare the ways the different materials act on the colors.  Lots of possibilities!  I realize we forgot to put wings on these little guys...oh well.
We made word family turkeys from Cara Carroll.  She made them for Long A words, but included a blank one which I used to make the word families we've been working on.  The kids each got different word families depending on their needs and had to write words on the feathers that went with the family.

They loved seeing them hanging from the ceiling!

We also did this fun writing/drawing activity by Deanna Jump.  After reading Turkey Trouble, by Wendi Silvano, they made a disguise for their turkey so it wouldn't get eaten.  Some of my kids got confused by the "reward" section, so they just used that space to label their turkey.  They turned out so cute!
Turkey as a Pizza Delivery Man
Turkey Cow
A Turkey Princess
A Turkey Ninja
On Tuesday, we had our big program and I wanted the kids to share some writing before we ate.  We read The Most Thankful Thing, by Lisa McCourt, and listed three things we were most thankful for.  Then, we set their writing at their seats so the kids could share it with their families while they waited for lunch to be served.  
I am thankful for my class, Ms. Faerber, and leaves.
I am thankful for my dad because he loves me, my cats, and my mom.
I thought these last two were so sweet.  We have two "best friends" in our class, Lilly and Olivia, and I typically don't see such a strong friendship at this point in kindergarten.  But they are so cute and are just always thinking of each other.  They both listed each other as one of their "most thankful things" without even seeing the other's paper.
I am thankful for my big dog, Olivia, and my family.
I am  thankful for my mouse, my mom, and Lily.
 I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  I'll be joining with many other sellers for a sale in my TeachersPayTeachers store for Cyber Monday and Tuesday.  Check me out if you have a chance!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...